Do you want to learn more about local government and how to get involved?
The City of Hood River will launch its first ever Civics Academy: Hood River 101. This course is designed to help remove barriers between the City and the public, so community members not only understand how our municipal government works, but also feel empowered to make a difference in our community. Maybe you’ll be even inspired to serve on one of our boards or committees! This is also an opportunity for the City of Hood River to hear from you, learn what you’re interested in, and address concerns.
This free, six-week course will cover all the City’s departments and provide an introduction into the role of local government.
The in-person, interactive classes will take place Tuesday evenings September 26 – November 7, from 5:30-7:30 pm at various locations, with refreshments provided. Childcare and travel stipends are available upon request. Graduation will occur during our City Council Meeting on Monday, November 13 at 6 pm. To graduate, participants may only miss one session, unless arrangements are made for special circumstances.
Class schedule (subject to change):
- Tuesday, September 26 – Ready, Set, Gov! Administration and Budget. City Hall, 211 2nd St.
- Tuesday, October 3 – Where does it go? Tour of Wastewater Treatment Plant. 818 Riverside Dr.
- Tuesday, October 10 – Roads, water and sewer: Hood River Public Works, 1200 18th St.
- Tuesday, October 17 – Fire and EMS. Community Room/Fire Station, 1785 Meyer Pkwy.
- Tuesday, October 24 – Police Department. City Hall, 211 2nd St.
- No class on Halloween –
- Tuesday, November 7 – From dirt to homes: Planning and Building. City Hall, 211 2nd St.
- Monday, November 13 – Graduation at City Council meeting. City Hall, 211 2nd St.
You can find the application online at cityofhoodriver.gov/hood-river-101-classes or at the link below. Send it to to Jackie Vanderpuye, by 5 pm on September 12, 2023 to community engagement coordinator, at email@example.com or mail or hand deliver it to City Hall, 211 2nd Ave. Hood River, OR 97031. The course is open to anyone interested and able to commit to the attendance policy, however, priority will be given to people living within the Hood River urban growth boundary. If you will need special accommodations to participate, please reach out to Jackie to discuss your needs.
Please consider signing up HERE to receive quarterly Emails of future editions of Hood River City Connect.
Si le gusta lo que acaba de leer, considere inscribirse AQUI para recibir correos electrónicos trimestrales de futuras ediciones de Hood River City Connect.