How to Use Zoom for Court
Download these instructions in PDF format: City of Hood River Municipal Court - Guide for Using Zoom
Until further notice, all Court hearings will be conducted by Zoom (which is similar to Skype).
What will I need to attend Court using Zoom?
You will need a desktop computer, laptop, or smartphone that are equipped with a camera and microphone and a stable internet connection. If you do not have access to those devices, see Call-In Options. The instructions for attending a remote hearing are as follows:
First Step: Install Zoom for Free
For smartphones and tablets, install ZOOM from the App Store. For your desktop computer, laptop or notebook device with webcam and microphone, please visit www.zoom.us and follow the instructions to download the app.
Second Step: Create an Account
Create a Zoom account by going to Zoom.us, and click, “sign up, it’s free” and follow the prompts from there.
You should test audio and video at least 24 hours before the conference. This can be done in the “Preferences” or “Settings” window of the program. If you are unable to participate by video, see the section titled “Call-In Options”.
Third Step: Join the Zoom Call
Be sure to join the Zoom call 10 minutes before the start time.
To join, you will need to access the Zoom remote court session information click on the link to Join
- Click on link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88289379973
- A “Join Now” link will appear.
- Clicking on the Join Now link will open your Zoom
- App and ask you to enter the Zoom session’s meeting ID
- After you enter the meeting ID, a screen should load showing your face, after you see this screen, click “join with video”
- Once these above steps have been completed, you will have joined the Zoom session and be placed into the Zoom Waiting Room. (When in the Waiting Room, you cannot hear or see the court proceedings.)
- The name that you choose for yourself will be shown on the screen during the call. You must use your full name as it appears in your case as well as your case number so that you can be identified.
- When the court is ready to hear your case, you will be allowed entry into the Zoom meeting from the Waiting Room.
- A message box will then appear asking you to “join with computer audio,” or “join with internet audio.” Selecting this will allow you to hear the meeting and speak through your device.
Behave as You Would in a Courtroom
- You should be appropriately dressed if appearing by video for a virtual hearing.
- Be aware of your background (area behind you).
- Make sure it is appropriate; it will be seen by the Judge and other people attending the hearing.
- You will remain on mute until it is your time to speak.
- Use appropriate language as you would in a courtroom.
- If you do not follow the Court’s rules, you may be removed from the Court hearing, and the
More Zoom Assistance
- For a short video on How to Join a Zoom meeting:
CANNOT APPEAR VIA ZOOM OR PHONE
All hearings will be conducting using Zoom.
- Contact the court immediately at 541-386-3942