The Hood River Fire Department was created on November 14, 1904 at a meeting at the Whitehead and Sheets store. At this meeting, the first volunteer fire brigade in Hood River County was organized. With Will Sheets elected Fire Chief and Sherman Frank his Assistant Chief, a group of spirited community volunteers did excellent work using bucket brigades. The first fire station was located on Fourth Street between Oak and State. On January 1, 1905 the first Firefighters Ball was held at the KP Hall to raise money for protective gear and hose. The Firefighters Ball was created to be held every year to earn money for the good of the department. In November of 1905, the first firefighting apparatus was purchased for $168. Horses soon replaced the firefighters as the power for the hand cart.
In 1921 the first motorized fire apparatus, Engine 1, was purchased by the Hood River Fire Department for $13,000. The same year the City Hall was built, and the fire department occupied the bottom floor where Engine 1 served until the 1950s when it was finally removed from service. The restoration of Engine 1 started as a project of the late Ty Taylor. Ty had a desire to improve local fire service and spread his love for it throughout the community. Ty was in the middle of the restoration project when he died in 1984. The project was being completed in Portland, so Engine 1 returned to Hood River to carry its chief restoration director one last time. The restoration project was then completed by a handful of dedicated volunteers, led by John Schlosser, in July of 1984. Engine 1 is on display at the Hood River Fire & EMS and remains a centerpiece of volunteer pride at local parades and functions.
In 1986 the new Hood River Fire Station was relocated and built at the intersection of 18th and May Streets, behind the Parks and Recreation Swimming Pool. A new street was dedicated and named Meyer Parkway, after the late Jim Meyer, firefighter and Fire Chief from 1944 to 1974. There were 46 members of the fire department when the new station opened, all under the direction of Chief Wayne DeHart.
In November 2008, voters of the City of Hood River passed a general obligation bond to fund the renovation and expansion of the fire station including purchasing fire and EMS apparatus. In June 2012, the remodel was completed, and a dedication ceremony held.
There are 15 paid Firefighter/Paramedics and 10 volunteers, including three (3) firefighter interns. The fire department provides Advanced Life Support Ambulance service to the communities of Hood River, Pine Grove, Odell, West Side, and Mosier.